Monday, November 05, 2012

Adirasam -SNC Challenge 2



Hello friends! As you all know a  cute and very interesting challenge is hosted by our friend Divya Pramil from You too can cook. Challenge is the teams are divided on India's geographical location and put in North and South zone accordingly. One member of North team challenges the South team to try out the dish and same South team challenges North team. Its a monthly event and last month October challenge for North team was to make Mysore pak and for South team to make bhelpoori. Needless to say it was fun and enjoyable learning experience.

This month challenge from South is from Yashodha and its  Adirasam. Its a traditional South Indian sweet comprising of  Rice flour, jaggery and water and deep fried.  Since I am from North team I have to prepare Adirasam and when I saw the recipe at yashoda's place  I was foxed. I am bit confused when it comes to making any sweet which requires sugar or jaggery consistency and my first impression told me its hard dish to make. Not the one to give up I bugged every member of South team and they were so sweet in explaining me how to do it that I started getting clear picture in my head.

I did not even spare my maid who is a Tamilian and who had amusing expression on her face when I showed her what I want to make. She also told me what I should do and well here it is. It may not be perfect but I did make it and sorry for mistakes. Looks like I made a lengthy convo here. Ha ha

Ingredients :

500gms rice
250 gms jaggery
4 tbsp  water.
a pinch of cardamom powder
 Milk and ghee optional
 oil to deep fry.

Method:

Since I have never tasted adirasam I decided to go with lesser quantity than what yashodha in her recipe wrote but I think measurements may vary for rice and jaggery.

Soak rice for 1 or 2 hours and then drain completely. Here I spread the rice on newspaper to just dry a bit more but it should remain slightly moist. Grind the rice into a powder which is slightly more than rawa consistency. Thats how I understood it to be though I did goof up a bit there. It should not be very fine nor very coarse. Make sure rice particles are not there. Keep it aside.

Add jaggery and  water in a heavy bottom vessel and let it boil till all jaggery melts. Add cardamom powder here or grind whole cardamom along with rice.  Jaggery syrup should be thicker of one string consistency. How to check the consistency,please refer to yashodha's post on same.

Remove syrup from gas and after few minutes using wooden spatula slowly add rice flour and mix continously. Mix till you get smooth dough. You may not need all the flour but keep extra just in case.  Again consistency should be of chapati dough.

Keep the dough covered for a day and next day on a plastic sheet rub slight ghee and put lemon sized ball of the dough. With fingers slightly press and form a thick circle. Don't make it too thin and then fry cute little adirasams in oil. Fry on low to medium heat till both sides are done and remove on kitchen paper to drain out excess oil.

So there I am done with it and by the way adirasams are very tasty and the look on my maid's face was worth watching as she was amused by my attempts to make this delightful dish. She was my tester for this as I have never tasted so did not know how it would be.

http://chattersmusings.blogspot.com/

http://chattersmusings.blogspot.com/

http://chattersmusings.blogspot.com/


Hope I did as per my South team members expectations and over to you for lovely comments.



30 comments:

  1. Heard that making adhirasam is so difficult. Without having tasted it, you have prepared it well.. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. divya i was more worried for jaggery syrup but rice did blooper for me. i didnt grind it well enough bt my maid loved it so i knew its right barring the bits of rice particles

      Delete
  2. I have been thinking of making this for the last few days. The fried kind of sweets are not too popular in my house, so hesitating. But Meena, this looks really good, so going to give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. minnie whatever u do dont make rice too coarse. just make it little more than fine. use less quantity mine did make about 10 pieces

      Delete
  3. following u thru SNC .. Adhirasam is difficult recipe. You nailed it !! :) Well prepared... Looking so tasty !!


    http://www.thetalesofmycooking.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi welcome. ya well it is difficult but i had fun so just made a joke of my attempts.

      Delete
  4. You did great job, adhirasam looks exactly same as it should be .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes swathi thanks ya looks wise they came out good.

      Delete
  5. Great job Meena !! It is very hard to make something without having tasted it before. I guess the challenges are proving its point of introducing new dishes to us. Awesome athirsams )

    Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adhirasam seems a difficult recipe Meena, but yours has turned out really well. Great going! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfectly done, Meena. This one is difficult recipe but you prepared well.



    Cuisine Delights
    My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Festive Food"

    ReplyDelete
  8. aunty , you made perfect adhirasams. previously , you hesitated to make .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aunty it is perfect and looking delicious than mine. Wow.. Super aunty without tasting that you have done a good job!! Love you aunty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy adhirasam.... looks grt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking up to my event !! Just now noted that you have attached to my own event too !! Thanks aunty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow...meenu...looks so perfect...gr8 job...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these hot n crispy. Looks yum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meenu am really amazed with ur write up :) Read about all the things you have goofed up ha ha but really an awesome work!!! u know we Tamilians itself make a lot of mistakes while preparing Adhirasams and u made it good the first time itself!! Awesome is the only word striking my mind now :)

    Great going Meenu am sure Northern team would seek ur help too soon guruji he he :)

    Cream Of Chicken Soup - Easier Way
    60 Days to Christmas - Event & Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  15. great job meena.. you have made it perfectly.. hats off to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. adhirasam looks perfect dear... u have done a gr8 job at first attempt... Great Chef!!!
    Today's Recipe - Baked Idli without Idli Pan
    VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job Meena, even its quite a hard task to get the exact texture,yours looking fabulous..You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  18. even i never tested but will try it as soon as possible..your pictures looks perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well acquired challenge meena :) Good job.. those adirasam looks nice and chubby.. keep going..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done n great job Meena:) Looks perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. great job meena anuty :) adhirasam looks really yummy n they are perfect :)..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your valuable comments. Each of your comments keeps me motivated to write more.However,please leave your name when you comment as anonymous commentator would remain anonymous and chances are that comment may not be published :)Thank you so much.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites